This base will fill a 9 nine inch cake tin.
You could halve the recipe and fill a 7½ inch tin, which will give you a taller cake, that’s what I did.
- 1 cup of hazelnuts
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1 heaped cup of Medjool dates
- ¼ cup of cacao
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
- ½ teaspoon of flaky sea salt
- 1½ cups of soaked cashews
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of cacao powder
- ¼ + 2 tablespoons of agave nectar
- A good pinch of flaky sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of lecithin
Exactly the same as the Richest Filling, only use 2 tablespoons of cacao.
- To make the base, blitz everything in the food processor except the dates
- Now gradually add the dates one by one. Stop when you reach the desired consistency – so the dough should still be crumbly but sticky enough to hold its own when pressed together
- Press into the bottom of a spring tin cake tin and pop in the freezer
- To make the filling, start by making the Richest Filling first. Blend everything but the lecithin.
- Add the lecithin last, this helps the cake to set
- Pour into your cake tin
- Now make the Rich Filling, which is exactly the same recipe, only less cacao. Pour this over the top, but don’t be gentle! Let it push its way through the darker colour. You can also use a chopstick to give it a cheeky swirl. This part is purely cosmetic!
- If you wish to keep the colours the same, use equal parts cacao in each blender batch, but you will still need two batches, as it won’t all fit in one jug at a time
- Decorate with smashed hazelnuts and orange zest
- Pop in freezer till ready to serve